f

Monday, June 15, 2009

Giving Back to My Alumni

One of the things I would like to do in future is to set up an endowment fund for the needy to pursue tertiary education. I am still not there yet, but I would do my part by increasing my contribution to NTU Annual Giving this year.

I am glad that my investment returns had been able to give me this kind of option which otherwise will not be available to me if I only stick to the pay of my miserable day job. Being a bursary fund holder for each of my three years in NTU, I can certainly relate to those undergraduates who came from low income families and struggle with increasing tuition fees and living expenses every year.

Investment is not only about returns, but also being able to make an impact in other people's life. I am glad that I am able to do so by investing prudently and living a simple life.
http://www3.ntu.edu.sg/DO
http://www3.ntu.edu.sg/DO/download/CampaignForAccessibilityToHigherEducation.pdf

While you are working hard for the next pay/promotion or busy with enjoying the "finer" things in life, do remember to take a step back and help those who are in need.

What meaningful stuff you have done (or planning to do) with your investment returns? Maybe you would like to share with ghchua under the comments section of this blog.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Wealth Journey said...

I would go for primary and secondary endowment as the child is too young to work and they need the financial support. That is also their foundation years and we really need to let them continue their studies and hopefully when they do well and get scholarships/bonds for tertiary educations.

At tertiary level, the teenager have more options opened to him/her as he can work part-time to support his education. Some will go via bonds with companies. A few of my poly friends did that. Some signed up with SAF. All these options while limiting does present ample opportunities to students.

As for me, my base contribution for years have been $100 monthly via credit card to ComChest. If i end the year with a profit, I do contribute 1% of it to comchest again.

2:27 AM  
Blogger Createwealth8888 said...

Simple guidelines to Happiness

1. Free your heart from hate.
2. Free your mind from worry.
3. Live simply.
4. Give more.
5. Expect less.


Yup. Give more if you can.

9:00 PM  
Blogger ghchua said...

Hi Wealth Journey,

Signing on with SAF might not be an option for those who don't like military life. Also, being bonded with companies is also subjected to being recruited by the company. Not every undergraduate are fortunate enough to be bonded. In fact, if you are bonded, you will not be eligible for bursary funds.

I have encountered some undergraduates who worked part-time to supplement their family's income, which means also supporting their younger brothers/sisters who are still in school. This plus the tuition fee they have to pay every year do adds up to quite a substantial sum needed.

Yes, primary and secondary endowment is also a good way to give. Will also consider this option.

3:42 AM  
Blogger ghchua said...

Hi Createwealth8888,

Thanks for your simple guidelines to Happiness. Will keep them in mind.

3:48 AM  
Blogger ZhuKoLiang said...

hi, i am newbie_George.

Now i am studying in NTU. As part of a student in NTU, i thank u very much....

2:38 AM  
Blogger ghchua said...

Hi newbie_George,

No problems at all. As I am also a former bursary fund holder when I was in NTU, I am just doing my part to contribute back to my alumni.

2:43 AM  
Blogger ZhuKoLiang said...

ghchua, u have reached a very high level ... u r far more veteran than veteran...

if u asked me to donate money back to society, well, i admit: i am selfish. yes. i am not a generous person.

i have lots of things to learn from u

11:34 AM  
Blogger ghchua said...

Hi newbie_George,

I believe I was like you last time when I was young. However, as time goes by, I have realised that giving and sharing gave me the greatest satisfaction in life. Not everything can be measured by dollars and cents. Also, not every action have to be beneficial to oneself.

Perhaps one day you could also start to be more generous. Yes, it takes time to change your thoughts and so take it slowly.

7:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Name:

A self-directed investor, looking to invest for retirement needs and bypass all those expensive financial planners/insurance agents. Investing is fun, profitable or most important of all, knowledge gained is useful for the rest of your life!

Powered by Blogger