f

Saturday, August 07, 2021

Journey as a Full-time Investor - 10 Years On

Dear readers,

My last update on my full-time investment journey was posted 5 years ago.

It does seems like yesterday that I have started this journey. But alas, it had been 10 years since I left the corporate world! How time files.

First, I would like to say sorry to all my loyal readers out there. I don't know how many of you are still visiting this blog regularly, but my number of posts had decreased as years gone by. If you have noticed, I have only been providing monthly portfolio updates and nothing else. It is not about lacking of posting ideas, but I would like to reduce my time on blogging these days. However, I would still engage you all via the comments section of each blog post, so keep your comments coming.

Second, since my last update 5 years ago, the market had given me my toughest challenge since I transformed into a full-time investor for the past two years. This is to be expected as I don't expect the journey to be smooth sailing. The Covid situation had set back my portfolio for two years, but it also presents opportunities for me to ride out this crisis stronger as a person and an investor.

Third, with around 10 years of investment experience as a full-time investor, I am now able to manage my emotions better as markets underwent volatility everyday. With a road map in mind, I am fully focused and committed to continue this journey.

Once again, I wish to thank all of you out there for your support. You know who you are, and for those that I don't know personally, a good shout out to you all silent readers out there. 

Will there be another 10 years as a full-time investor? Honestly, I think there is no turning back for me now. I am completely unemployable right now as my job skills are obsolete already. But having build up this portfolio to date, my tasks ahead will be to make it more robust to withstand any challenges thrown at it. I am optimistic of what lies ahead, though mindful of any pitfalls along the way.

With your support, I believe I will be able to last this journey, hopefully as long as I could possibly can.

Labels:

21 Comments:

Blogger bamboo said...

I want to commend you for the courage 10 years ago and dexterity in yr work. Believe you learned a lot and will continue to make good and steady headways forward.

9:33 PM  
Blogger ghchua said...

Hi bamboo,

Thanks for your best wishes. I hope that you have also learnt a lot too in your own investing journey.

9:37 PM  
Blogger Sunny said...

Shifu Chua

Thanks for continuing blogging and keeping us around your post.

Thanks and good luck and good health

6:22 AM  
Blogger Ryan said...

Focused investing for the next 10 years!
Ryan

6:37 AM  
Blogger ghchua said...

Hi Sunny and Ryan,

Thanks for your sincere wishes. Indeed, I will be focusing on investing for as long as I could.

7:49 AM  
Blogger SGHedgehog said...

Thank you for sharing

9:33 PM  
Blogger WTK said...

Hi Ghchua,

I believe that there will be many more decades to come for you. It is only a start for you.
You will have gained more insights for these past 10 years and this experience will equip you better for the years ahead.

WTK

11:40 PM  
Blogger ghchua said...

Hi WTK,

Thanks for your insights and support. Certainly, I would hope to continue my journey as long as possible.

1:31 AM  
Blogger newborn1000 said...

Brilliant , I would like to move on too from the corporate world.

May I ask , how do you handle the social aspect of it?

Example , parents asking why you are not working a job anymore etc
People you are dating , or friends in general?

7:59 AM  
Blogger ghchua said...

Hi Tictactoe,

I guess being honest upfront is the way to go. Ultimately, if you are comfortable with what you are doing, you should be able to articulate to them and those who seriously care about you will sense your passion and interest in it and support your decision.

Yes, there will be some people who would say some ugly stuff. Time will be the best judgement.

8:51 AM  
Blogger weii said...

I believe it will not be a bed of roses for full time investors. It only appears to be promising due to the easy monetary policies around the world and low commission rates charged by brokerages. Aspiring investors may like to google Singapore investor bloggers with minimum S$1 million stock portfolio to assess the risk and rewards of taking this professional path. It is always good to have multiple sources of income thus some investors do have other roles such as investment consultant, investment software developer, investment course trainer etc.

8:31 PM  
Blogger ghchua said...

Hi Unknown,

Definitely agree with you. Some investors have multiple sources of income but all in part-time roles. Personally for me, I want to be focused on my investment. Therefore I do it full-time.

There is no right or wrong in every decision that you make. Ultimately, you have to be comfortable with your decision and stay the course. Take ownership of your decision.

Life is definitely not a bed of roses for full-time investors like me. I have already pointed out that Covid is one of the major setbacks. As for monetary policies, I can't control it and so I don't worry about it. What I attempt to do is to search for more value buys (stocks trading at a discount from book) rather than growth stocks.

9:07 PM  
Blogger newborn1000 said...

Hi ghchua,

Ours is a rare breed , will come back time to time to exchange views.

Cheers and more good years ahead!!

9:12 PM  
Blogger Sunny said...

Shifu Chua

People will benefit a lot from you if one like me is willing to exchange views and consult with an open heart. Now, Kepple DC is placing shares privately, will I as a shareholder entitle for such a placement? Why is it call private placement? Is there anything called public placement?

https://www.theedgesingapore.com/news/reits/keppel-dc-reit-raise-gross-proceeds-between-2001-mil-2043-mil-private-placement-81-mil

Thanks

3:10 AM  
Blogger ghchua said...

Hi Sunny,

Unfortunately, the answer is no. You will not be entitled to participate in private placement. There is no such thing as public placement. This is because private placement are normally done overnight. You will not be able to do it so quickly via a public tranche.

4:22 AM  
Blogger Jamesbond007 said...

I am thankful for your postings, to which I always look forward at the beginning of each month.
Also, your replies to readers' queries, with your thought process.
Well done, man!

8:23 PM  
Blogger ghchua said...

Hi Tictactoe and Jamesbond007,

Thanks to both for your encouragements and best wishes. Forever will be grateful for your support.

9:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, first time writing a comment on your blog.

I started following you for more than 5 years already.

just wanted to say that i appreciate your sharing even though it is only a summary once a month.

5:41 AM  
Blogger ghchua said...

Hi Unknown,

Thanks for your appreciation. Hope that you have benefited from my blog. Yes, I must apologize for the lack of postings, but I hope you can understand that I wish to spend less time on this blog going forward.

6:37 PM  
Blogger meyo said...

Hi, this is Meyo from moomoo's business development team.

moomoo is a one-stop trading app that makes it easy for traders to do everything they need to trade stocks, including charting, trading & connecting with other traders.

We would like to discuss partnership opportunities for paid video content. Let me know if you are interested and got any question. My email is meyolin@moomoo.com, Looking forward to talk further.

12:17 AM  
Blogger meyo said...

Hi, this is Meyo from moomoo’s business development team.

moomoo is a one-stop trading app that makes it easy for traders to do everything they need to trade stocks, including charting, trading & connecting with other traders. (our web: www.moomoo.com/sg)

We would like to discuss partnership opportunities for paid content. Let me know if you are interested and got any question. My email is meyolin@moomoo.com, Looking forward to talk further.

Best,
Meyo

12:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Name:

A self-directed investor, looking to invest for retirement needs and bypass all those expensive financial planners/insurance agents. Investing is fun, profitable or most important of all, knowledge gained is useful for the rest of your life!

Powered by Blogger