f

Tuesday, December 31, 2019

My Investment Portfolio (December 2019)

STI closed the year at 3222 points, up around 5% for the whole year. It was a year of two halves. The first half of the year was quite good but unfortunately, events happening around the world in the 2nd half caused STI to give up some gains but still managed to close the year positively.

For this month, I have attended the following AGMs/EGMs/briefing - 2nd Chance and Citic Envirotech.

For my top 30 holdings, United Engineers was out of the list after I accepted the mandatory cash offer for the company. Stocks that did well this month in the list include Hotel Properties and UOL. I have also increased my stake in some companies in the list like A-REIT (via rights issue), Bukit Sembawang Estates etc, which explains their upward movement in positions. As for the other stocks, not much changes had been seen in an otherwise quiet trading month.

I have bought the following companies from the market this month - Amara, Bonvests, Bukit Sembawang Estates, Chuan Hup, Delfi, Far East Orchard, Frasers Property, GK Goh, Hong Fok, Hongkong Land, Hotel Grand Central, Hotel Royal, Jardine C&C, Jardine Matheson, Jardine Strategic, Khong Guan, Koh Brothers, Lion AsiaPac, Metro, Pacific Century, Sin Ghee Huat, Sing Investment & Finance, TIH and UIC. No sale trade was done.

I have accepted the following voluntary delisting/cash offers this month - China Gaoxian and United Engineers. My shares in HMI had been acquired via Scheme of Arrangement. Also, my units in Ascendas Hospitality Trust had been merged into Ascott REIT.

It had been an eventful 2019. I had expected volatility to persist this year and therefore positioned my portfolio defensively at the start of the year. Unfortunately, my underweight positions in sectors like REITs and technology costs the portfolio as many stocks in these two sectors outperformed the general market this year. As we enter 2020, I will continue to position my portfolio defensively with US stocks continue to hit new highs. I take this opportunity to wish all my readers a Happy 2020! May your portfolio generate more returns in the new year.

My S'pore Stock Portfolio - Top Holdings, cash investment only (correct as at 31 December 2019)

Top 30 Holdings (Sing$ Denominated shares)
1. PM Data
2. Hotel Properties
3. Haw Par
4. Hong Leong Finance
5. Bonvests
6. Hong Fok
7. Isetan
8. Stamford Land
9. Jardine C&C
10. A-REIT
11. GK Goh
12. Hotel Grand Central
13. Sing Investment & Finance
14. Far East Orchard
15. UOL
16. Hiap Hoe
17. Metro Holdings
18. Singapura Finance
19. Hotel Royal
20. Bukit Sembawang Estates
21. VICOM
22. Yeo Hiap Seng
23. SGX
24. UIC
25. ComfortDelgro
26. EnGro
27. CapitaLand
28. Amara
29. The Hour Glass
30. Old Chang Kee

Top 5 Holdings (US$ Denominated shares)
1. Jardine Strategic
2. Mandarin Oriental
3. Hongkong Land
4. Jardine Matheson
5. Elec & Eltek

Top Holdings (HK$ Denominated shares)
1. Shangri-La Asia
2. Tan Chong International

Top Holdings (Aust$ Denominated shares)
1. AV Jennings

Top 5 Holdings (CPF OA investment)
1. Streettracks STI ETF
2. CapitaLand Mall Trust
3. Keppel Corp
4. A-REIT
5. SBS Transit

My Hong Kong Stock Portfolio
1. Peace Mark Holdings - Under Voluntary Liquidation
2. Alpha Professional Holdings Ltd (formerly known as Z-Obee Holdings Ltd)

My Australia Stock Portfolio
1. GPS Alliance Holdings Limited

My Unlisted Company Portfolio
1. Iconic Global Limited
2. Dongshan Group Ltd (formerly known as Greatronic Limited)
3. General Magnetics
4. Fastech Synergy
5. Beauty China - Under Liquidation
6. Memory Devices
7. Jurong Tech - In liquidation - Compulsory winding up (Insolvency)
8. FM Holdings
9. Zhonghui - In liquidation - Compulsory winding up (Insolvency)
10. FerroChina - Under Liquidation
11. FirstLink Investments
12. NEL Group
13. Jets Technics
14. Guangzhao Industrial Forest - In liquidation - Compulsory winding up (Insolvency)
15. Hongwei Technologies Limited (In Provisional Liquidation)
16. FDS Networks Group
17. Aussino Group - In Liquidation - Creditors' voluntary winding up
18. China Oilfield Technology
19. China Milk Products Group - Under Liquidation
20. Pacific Healthcare
21. Eratat Lifestyle - In Liquidation
22. Fung Choi Media - In Liquidation
23. K1 Ventures - In Liquidation
24. DMX Technologies - In Liquidation
25. Europtronic Group
26. China Sun Bio-chem Technology
27. Attilan Group

My Unit Trust Portfolio:
http://www.fundsupermart.com/main/community/Portfolio_View.svdo?id=P199

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Everlearning said...

Hi ghchua,
A belated blessed New Year to you in 2020.

I have lost touched with equity investments but hope to make a comeback this year as I know that I should not hibernate any longer. Keep receiving letters from SGX saying that my shareholdings were being delisted and without any share certificate given by the companies made me feel that I was just legitimately being robbed! Sorry for saying all this, but it is just sharing my feelings right now if you were to ask me.

We have our ups and downs in lives. Along the way we learn to cope with all kinds of problems that threw to us. I have experienced the worst of my life in the last two years but I will never give up but will spend less time in dealing with the unwholesome problems. I do not wish to neglect my investments whereby one day to my horror all my shareholdings no longer exist with CDP.

Wishing you a bountiful and blessed Lunar New Year on 25th January 2020 in advance.

6:41 PM  
Blogger ghchua said...

Hi Everlearning,

Always nice to hear from you again and yes, Happy New Year!

Indeed, I have also suffered my fair share of setbacks in my investments as you can see my unlisted portfolio of shares. All of those shares were formerly listed on SGX and they had been delisted without any exit offer. Most of them are dormant companies now, though some of them are still alive and barely surviving.

I can understand how you feel from those losses but you shouldn't give up investing just because of those setbacks. I have determined not to let those losses affect me and aim to come back stronger than before. Investing is a life long journey. Try to learn from your mistakes and not to make them again. For me, I have been more careful in selecting companies to invest in after those losses and my investment process had certainly improved from those setbacks.

Wishing you more investment returns in 2020! More importantly, enjoy the process.

1:27 AM  
Blogger faith said...

Hi GH Chua!

Wish you had a wonderful Christmas & a Joyful New Year!

I wonder whether dividends from stocks are taxable? Please advise.

Thank you.


Faith


5:39 PM  
Blogger ghchua said...

Hi Faith,

Thanks, hope you enjoyed your holidays too!

Dividends is not taxable in Singapore for individuals when they received them from Singapore incorporated companies.

9:20 PM  
Blogger Sunny said...

Shifu Chua

Does Cosco Shipping have bulk shipping anymore? Since China is to buy so much soybean from US, think this company should be able to get some shipping biz, is it showing any turnaround sign financially? What's the problem with company at moment and near future?

Thanks

12:14 AM  
Blogger ghchua said...

Hi Sunny,

If you are asking about the Cosco that is listed on SGX, then no. They have sold most of their shipyards and now their main business is actually in logistics. They do have some shipping business in Singapore but they are small as compared to logistics.

Their logistics business is profitable, but the company is a much smaller one now as compared to last time.

12:52 AM  
Blogger Sunny said...

Shifu Chua

Thanks for guiding me. Not sure if you have Sunright and Avi- Tech or Micro Mechanic? If can, please shed more light on these companies especially on their future development and current valuation.

Many thanks and Have a prosperous CNY!

2:17 AM  
Blogger ghchua said...

Hi Sunny,

I have all 3 of them in my portfolio but they are not my major holdings.

All 3 of them are in the semi conductor industry which is quite cyclical. Among the 3, Micro Mechanics is most consistent in terms of performance but it is also the most expensive. Sunright is the cheapest among the 3 as it is currently trading below book value but their dividend payout is the lowest and also the most inconsistent performer among them.

As you might have known, I don't like technology related stocks and semi conductor related ones are one of the most volatile in this sector. Therefore, future is very unpredictable as demand and supply in this sector can swing quite quickly. I don't attempt to predict the future of this sector, just buying companies that are cheap enough for me.

5:19 PM  
Blogger Sunny said...

Shifu Chua

Do you have a purchase list with entry price?

Thanks

12:55 AM  
Blogger ghchua said...

Hi Sunny,

Not really. Normally, I just monitor the market and look out for stocks that are trading at decent valuation. So, there is no purchase list actually. Just that those that meet my requirements and are decently priced will be added into my portfolio.

There is also no fixed entry price for each stock that I wish to add into my portfolio. Again, it is fluid and as long as it meet my requirements, they will be added.

1:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Name:

A self-directed investor, looking to invest for retirement needs and bypass all those expensive financial planners/insurance agents. Investing is fun, profitable or most important of all, knowledge gained is useful for the rest of your life!

Powered by Blogger